Another redo

Here is the original painting that I created as part of my course work with Leonid Afremov. I painted it as directed and required, but I didn’t love it.


In fact, I’ve looked at it a number of times over the last year or so and considered what I could do to fix it.

Well, I finally decided to just get rid of most of the red.

And here it is.

I have to say, I much prefer the piece now.  I like how the bold reds are just barely seen. They provide a depth to the blues and greens, but are not so over powering!

And now I can say that this piece is mine!

For more information about this piece, click here.

An Acrylic Adventure


A few weeks ago I was asked to paint DURING a church service as part of a celebration of a woman who had served the church more than 30 years in our children’s preschool program. I was excited for the painting adventure, but since I really like working in oils, and oils don’t travel, I knew I would have to adapt to the environment and situation!

So, after a bit of trial and error and a few practices paintings. This is what I ended up with. I am happy with the painting. It is in acrylic, and acrylic is HARD to blend on a canvas as it dries so quickly when you are palette knife painting. The painting has lots and lots of layers in order to get a little depth to it. I worked with the painting some after the service as I wanted it to be a little more finished, but I didn’t do too much so that it would be true to the worship experience.

I really enjoyed the challenge, but I think if I do this again, I’ll find a way to transport the oils!Image